One huge challenge to sharing the Gospel in todays culture is people lack a foundation of Biblical Truth. So instead of starting with the Book of Romans (their need of Christ) its necessary to start with page one of the Bible (there is a God).
One of the best ways to do this is telling the Gospel as a story because it allows us to focus on the major themes of Scripture which are
The Holiness of God (marked in Gold)
The Sinfulness of Man (marked in Blue)
And the coming Redeemer Jesus Christ (marked in red)
As a framework I use The Story of Hope evangelism material published by ABWE which uses major events in Scripture to explain the Gospel.
In part one of this series I will go from creation, to Abraham’s willingness to sacrifice Isaac. I pray it can encourage us all to tell the story of the Gospel beginning in Genesis 1:1.
1. God who existed in the beginning created the Heavens and the Earth
2. God Created Adam and Eve, and after putting them in the Garden of Eden, they are commanded not to eat the fruit from one tree.
3. An Angel of God rebelled against Him and tried to take His place. God responded by throwing him out of Heaven, and since that time Satan has tempted us to rebel.
4. Adam and Eve choose to eat the fruit and take the place of God instead of obeying Him
5. Because Adam and Eve sinned against God they felt shame and separation from Him for the first time
6. God promised a man would come and redeem all of us from our sins by crushing the head of Satan
7. Until the promised Redeemer arrived, Adam and Eve temporarily covered their sins with the blood of animal sacrifices.
8. They are forced to leave the Garden of Eden because of their sin. Since that time our sins have created a wall of separation between us and God
9. Instead of obeying God mankind became worse and worse so He warned them of a coming flood that would kill everyone
10. God called Noah to build an ark that would protect people from the flood, this is a picture of the coming Redeemer
11. God called a man named Abraham to leave his family and travel to a place were the Lord would make him a great nation.
12. God later asked Abraham to sacrifice his firstborn son Isaac, Abraham was about to do this when God provided a Ram to be sacrificed in his place
Come back on Saturday to read The Gospel as A Story Part Two.